Friday, October 10, 2008

Very Odd

The same day I visited the cathedral was the weekend of Les Expressifs, the street arts festival I wrote about last week. When I left the cathedral, there was a musical theater group (I guess that's what you could call it) in front of the cathedral singing sections of Carmina Burana. In between the singing, a narrator explained portions of French history while the actors mimed the events. The actors were wearing masks, but by the plenteous amount of white hair, and what I could see around the masks, I don't think anyone in this group was below the age of seventy. And I'm pretty sure none of them were actors or singers. But hey, I'm all for staying active into the elder years. Perhaps the strangest part of the performance was the woman playing the Virgin Mary. She sat perfectly still behind the actors, holding the baby Jesus. I think she was supposed to be one of these living statues, and I'm pretty sure that she had eyes painted on top of her eyelids, so she could keep her eyes closed and avoid blinking throughout the performance. I found the result terrifying. I tried to get a picture but I was rather far away. I'm glad that this picture shows the masked actors as well.



Curiouser and curiouser.

1 comment:

Elena said...

The eyelid painting disturbs me . . . What a quirky site.