Thursday, January 29, 2009

Black Thursday

Today, there were mass strikes throughout all of France in protest of Nicolas Sarkozy's handling of the financial crisis. French employees stopped work today (on what some news sites have called Black Thursday)saying that Sarkozy has done too much for businesses and not enough to protect jobs and raise the low wages of French workers. I managed to get a bus to school this morning (I didn't think any would be running, but there were a few) only to find that my professor was striking. Of course there was no way for me to have known this since some teachers were striking, and some weren't, and they don't really have a system of contacting students. This is what I saw in front of Poitiers' city hall later in the afternoon:





This sign says, "Sarko, the people will have your skin."



"Sarko steals from the poor to give to the rich."











It should be even more interesting when the university students start striking Monday and close the school. I'm not sure how that will go. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

This is AMAZING. I hope you're being super safe, but what a cool environment to be a part of!