Wednesday, March 11, 2009

La Grève




The students at my university have been striking for five weeks now. They're protesting many of Sarkozy's new education reforms. This strike is quite bizarre to me. Strikes are a way of life in France. I probably see some sort of demonstration at least once each week, sometimes more (I've already seen two this week). Lately, they've been mostly student demonstrations, but I hear another mass strike is planned for all of France next week. Also, it is the students who are striking and have set up the blockades in the halls. And from what I hear they do it almost every year.

I take only two classes in the actual French university. My other three classes are held in the center for the foreign students. So for the past (almost)month and a half, I've only had three classes each week. Some of my friends, who are only taking classes in the French university haven't had any school at all. Of course panic kicked for all of the Americans due to the fact that eventually, the French students will have to make up all of the classes they've missed, probably this summer. But the study abroad students are leaving. We can't stay to make up classes. Oddly enough we've been assured that we'll still get our credits for our classes. So, not actually going to classes but still getting credits for them is...good. Right? At this point I'm not going to worry about it. There's nothing I can do, so as long as I get the credits I need, I'll be happy. And I have to admit that sleeping in every day is pretty damn nice.

No comments: