Wednesday, March 11, 2009

St. Nicolas

Last week, I took myself out to one of my favorite restaurants, the St. Nicolas, which is about a thirty second walk from where I live.



I've been there a couple of times before and I always get the same thing because it's one of the best meals I've had in France. I get the 16 euro menu which includes an entrée, main dish, and dessert. To start, I always get the Farci Poitevin, a specialty of this region. It's sort of a mix of cooked greens with goat cheese on top and it is sooo good.



Then came delicious, succulent pork cooked with prunes, with veggies on the side. Amazing.



For dessert I chose the day's special, which was pain perdu made from brioche. It's essentially what we think of as French toast. Delicious.



The owner was telling me that the restaurant is called the St. Nicolas because it used to be a church, L'église St. Nicolas. Here is a part of the original 11th century church wall.



Cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh. This looks soooo good. Take some notes and see if the restaurant people, in order to further French-U.S. relations, will give you the recipe! We need it.
Skunked in Salem